Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Around week 2 of Basic Training, I met the man who was to change my life forever. In Basic, females and males are not even allowed to acknowledge that the opposite sex exists. We couldn't and wouldn't make eye contact. Also around 2-week point, there is yet another training class where the sexes are "re-introduced", and are allowed to speak to each other. It was like a cliche; the class was taking place in the Chapel, and I saw him across the sanctuary. He was the most handsome black man I had ever seen! First of all, I had never even seen anyone that dark, and then he was pretty. I had no idea what they waere attempting to teach us in that class because I had made my mind up right then and there. As soon as they let me, I was going to make a bee-line for him and introduce myself. Well, they did, and I did it. Let me tell you, I did not know that black people could get that black, and I surely did not know that a black bald head could look that good and delicious sweating in the Texas sun! Lord, have mercy! I didn't stand a chance, and little did he know, neither did he. Remember? I was 18 years old, and now physically fit, with a body full of rampaging hormones! If I could have jumped on him right then and there I probably would have. He must have gotten the message, because he did not turn and hightail it away from this girl who was obviously interested in him.

According to his name tag, his name was "G" (protecting his privacy). We talked and walked, and it was an awkward first meeting. The tension was high because we never knew where the line was with the Air Force. Public Displays of Affection were a big no-no and would get you a big demerit. We had to carry around these pieces of paper in our shirt breast pocket. I think they were akin to an Article 15, which no one wanted. Almost like being on probabation. Gee whiz! What pressure! Well, Article 15 or no, I was a goner. He had my heart from the first words he spoke. I remember going back to the barracks and just throwing myself on my bunk and screaming to the top of my lungs how much I wanted him. Every time we had a chance to see each other after that initial meeting, we did. By the time Basic was over, I knew I had met the man of my dreams, plus I was no long a girl. I was a young woman who had been polished by the United States Government.

3 comments:

  1. Came over here from your sister's blog and have really gotten caught up in your story. You write so well. Maybe you should consider writing a book with all your blog posts when you are done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so very kind. Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete